Re: Need replacement for model CP290 X10 home automation system standalone controller

On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, Trtlservices@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Seeking suggestions for a cost effective replacememant for a dead
> CP290 home automation controller
>
> The CP290 X10 home automation system controller is a STANDALONE
> device. It is programmed using a PC o MAC
> personal comuter via a serial port, removed from the serial port and
> functions as a standalone (no PC or MAC required)  X10 contrroller.
>
> Standard CP290 features include:
>
>      Turning on and off modules immediately, including turning them on
> dimmed;
>      Defining "turn on" and "turn off" events to be stored in the CP290
> and executed by the CP290 even if the Macintosh is shut down. Such
> events include:
>          Turning a module on or off once at the specified time today;
>          Turning a module on or off once at the specified time
> tomorrow;
>          Turning a module on or off every week at the specified time
> and day(s) of the week;
>          Turning a module on or off every week within an hour of the
> specified time and day(s) of the week; (security mode).
>
> The CP290 is a old but very useful device which  is not longer
> maufactured.
I'm using the Smarthome 1132cu.  I've had it for years.  The included
software is kind of lame, but it works.  The Plus software give more
flexibility but costs about $70.  Now, Smarthome has decided NOT to
support this product even though they continue to sell it!!!!  The one
big problem is the Daylight Savings Time, date change a few years back.
  This doesn't work.  So, you have to do a work around by manually
making a change with each spring forward and fall back thing.  Not too
bad but it still irritates me that they keep reaping profits for a
crippled product.  I guess I don't know about the product they are
selling today.  Anyway, even with the irritations, it works pretty good
for me.