Re: 1132CU Information

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:27:12 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston)
wrote:

>greenpjs@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:34:27 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston)
>>wrote:

>>>Why not use the software that came with the 1132CU?
>>It is no longer supported and can't be easily installed on Vista or
>>newer OS's.  (It will actually *run* on newer OS's but won't install
>>without a lot of trickery.  It says, "Sorry, This is not a supported
>>OS").  Also, it has old daylight saving time dates.  Other than that,
>>it's great.  Besides, I write software as a hobby and like the
>>challenge.
>
>I don't know their current policy but Smarthome only released low level
>programming details to registered developers. It cost about $200 to become a
>registered developer and there was an extremely restrictive non-disclosure
>clause preventing registered developers from divulging ANY programming
>details.
>
>Where did you learn how to send/receive real-time X-10 commands? Perhaps you
>can get these other details there. Otherwise, your best bet is to run the
>Smarthome software and use a USB Sniffer program to examine the data - you
>did say you like a challenge.
I got my information from someone who reverse engineered it and wrote
a program that ran under linux.  His program is still available on
source forge and references a PDF which I finally found.  The PDF had
an email address so I sent him a message asking if he had anything
further.  No response yet but the address was many years old so my
request may not have reached him.

Regarding a USB sniffer, do you have any suggestions?  I tried to
install one last year and it totally screwed up my system.  As a
result, I'm a little gun shy about installing another.