Monitoring Solar PV installation

We have just had a solar PV system installed - the worst time of the
year for the UK <g>

I am looking to monitor generated power and currently consumed power
by use of Hall effect transducers.  In the summer months I am
expecting to be generating more power than I am using in the daytime
and want to switch on the immersion heater and heat up my hot water
when there is spare generating capacity.  How can I do this with X10
controllers?  Will it need to be controlled by a computer and software-
based solution or is there an off-the-shelf controller which could be
programmed to do it for me?

TIA