Re: Home Thermostat that keeps logs of activity -- does this exist?

Alex <samalex@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>I'd like to [...] find a home thermostat that'll keep logs of when the HV
>AC system comes on and goes off plus possibly a log of the temp and humidit
>y.  Our current thermostat  has all this info on screen but there's no log
>per say that saves it.

>Does something like this exist?  I can't help but think someone has created=
> one with a Wifi connection or possibly USB port to save the logs to since =
>this would be invaluable information for any home wanting to cut costs.

I have used an HAI RC-80 thermostat for about eight years. It has an
RS-232 serial port and a command protocol to access all the settings
and status.

There are only three wires to connect for the serial port (TxD, RxD and
ground) and I wrote a perl script to interface with the thermostat.

The script is available here: http://www.ziemba.us/sw/thermo

I'm using a PL-2303 USB-to-serial adaptor (there are many on ebay; I
think I paid about $15 for it) because my current computer has few
on-board serial ports.

I use RRD to graph the data points (once per minute) and use different
colors depending on the heating mode (heat/fan/off). Examples of the
graphs are at the above web page.

--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: