Re: Firecracker and USB-Serial

It has been a few years since we discussed this (and my memory isn't as good
as I remember it being) but Charles Sullivan, who maintains heyu, has done
extensive testing of numerous USB-Serial adapters. If he doesn't see this
thread, you should try contacting him via email or through their users
forum. See...

     http://heyu.org/heyu_credits.html

for both his email address and a link to the forum.

Knowing the chipset is not a guarantee as some adapter makers have not made
use of all of the features of the chipset. I believe that all FTDI chipsets
and the Prolific PL2303 control/report all of the lines but I haven't done
hands-on testing in several years.

I think you can trust both of these...

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/product_name=USB-COM-CBL/user-id=/password=/exchange=/exact_match=exact

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/product_name=Y-105/user-id=/password=/exchange=/exact_match=exact

but, IIRC, Charles said the Y-105 did not handle RI, while the Byterunner
web page indicates both it and the USB-COM-CBL (FTDI based) I cited above do
and I've always found Sean Dudley at ByteRunner both knowledgeable and
reliable. Anyway, you do not need RI for the Firecracker.

Finally, both FTDI and Prolific have drivers for OSX and I believe there are
links to both on the Byterunner product pages. If not, 	send an email to
Sean Dudley (see the Contact link). It might be worth trying the OSX driver
with your current adapter before buying another.