Re: Odd Appliance Module

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:10:10 +0000 (UTC), David White
> <whitedavidp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Seems like it doesn't rain but it pours!
>>
>> I am seeing what I believe to be odd behavior in one of my 2-pin
>> appliance modules (AM 486). In most of my modules of this type, even if
>> an X-10 command has turned the module OFF, I can switch-on the attached
>> device and it will work. I hear the module click when I do this. This is
>> the behavior I want and expect.
>>
>> But today I discovered that another of my AM 486 modules doesn't exhibit
>> this ability to switch-on the attached device if an X-10 command has
>> turned the module OFF.
>>
>> Which is the "correct" behavior? What does it mean that this one module
>> doesn't behave like the others?
>
> It is designed to work the way you want and expect but the type of load,
> whether resistive or reactive, may affect its reliability:
>
> http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Local_Control_for_Lamp_and_Appliance_Modules
>
> Try using a known resistive load, such as lamp with incandescent bulb or a
> kitchen appliance that heats (water pot, toaster, electric fry pan etc.) to
> test whether the issue is the type of load or whether that feature of your
> AM486 has failed. Some people (me included) dislike the local control feature
> and would consider the change you have found to be an improvement :-)
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony,

I did try multiple attached devices. One was a heating pad, the other an
incandescent lamp. I have also identified that more than one of my units
seems to lack this feature (or bane for others) called "local control".
So I conclude that this is not just a buggy module. I did find the
following page that indicates that the standard X-10 appliance modules
(at least the 3-prong ones) no longer have local control. This implies
that it once was there and now no longer is included. I think it is safe
to assume that the same change was made to the 2-prong module. So I am
inclined to conclude that some of my appliance modules are older than
others (which, no doubt, they are). Thanks, David

<http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-x-10-powerhouse-am466-3-pin-appliance-module>