Odd Appliance Module

Seems like it doesn't rain but it pours!

I am seeing what I believe to be odd behavior in one of my 2-pin
appliance modules (AM 486). In most of my modules of this type, even if
an X-10 command has turned the module OFF, I can switch-on the attached
device and it will work. I hear the module click when I do this. This is
the behavior I want and expect.

But today I discovered that another of my AM 486 modules doesn't exhibit
this ability to switch-on the attached device if an X-10 command has
turned the module OFF.

Which is the "correct" behavior? What does it mean that this one module
doesn't behave like the others?

Thanks