Re: New Fridge - setting up monitoring

On Aug 5, 6:46=A0am, "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Nonnymus" <nob...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > Just got a new fridge, and I thought I would try monitoring operating
> > > parameters with my home automation system. =A0I 've got sensors for k=
Whs
> [...]
> > > ambient room temperature, freezer and refrigerator temps and the
> > > temperature
> > > of a sensor on the back of the unit. =A0I was hoping this should give=
 me
> > > enough of a baseline to be able to detect "out of whack" conditions
> before
> > > they show up in a puddle on the floor or a failure to cool.
>
> > We once had a cabin up on a mountain. =A0On occasion, the power would g=
o out
> > and the refrigerator would let food thaw. =A0When power returned, the o=
nly
> > clue would be misshapen packages or a scent, so I wanted a sure-fire wa=
> > know not if there was a power failure, but whether a failure had affect=
ed
> > the freezer and refrigerator contents.
>
> > The solution was inexpensive: =A0a high/low thermometer from Radio Shac=
k.
> > When we'd go to the cabin, I'd simply look at the high temp and instant=
ly
> > know if the power had been off and if damage had been done.
>
> A while back I bought a nice magnetic fridge thermo that Bob Bass found o=
> the net that has an RF sender for the freezer and refrigerator compartmen=
ts
> and high and low alarm settings. =A0That's what got me started on automat=
ing
> the temperature (and other) readings.
>
> I wanted the home automation system to call me if the conditions indicate=
d a
> power or mechanical failure in the fridge. =A0You can get one hell of a
> stomach-ache eating refrozen food if it's sat out long enough. =A0As you =
point
> out, sometimes the clues that refreezing has occurred can be mighty subtl=
e.
> Tupperware containers don't get misshapen. =A0I always leave something in=
> cardboard container on edge in the freezer to make it obvious that a
> meltdown has occurred.
>
> Speaking of which, once upon a time, when I did photography as a side lin=
e,
> I was doing a food shoot of a Thanksgiving dinner. =A0The turkey had been=
 out
> under the lights for about 4 hours and then we put it back in the fridge =
in
> case we had to do a re-shoot. =A0Well, the guys we shared the studio with=
 saw
> the turkey in the fridge a week later and made turkey sandwhiches. =A0Tha=
t was
> the first time I had ever seen someone turn green (right before the sluic=
es
> opened at both ends of their alimentary canals).
>
> You can't be too careful with your food storage these days, especially wi=
th
> all the recalls and salmonella poisonings.

I assume this fully sensored and 24/7 monitored fridge is the same one
you asked for input about in the other thread?   Where you indicated
you will be moving soon and leaving it behind?

With so many fridges it's odd the rest of us haven't died from food
poisoning from failure to put in 6 sensors and a couple of PCs to
continuously monitor and log our fridge.   As for food storage and
recalls due to contamination, they are two very different things.