Re: New Fridge - setting up monitoring

"Robert Green" <robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:i3blc9$3pu$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Just got a new fridge, and I thought I would try monitoring operating
> parameters with my home automation system.  I 've got sensors for kWhs
> used,
> ambient room temperature, freezer and refrigerator temps and the
> temperature
> of a sensor on the back of the unit.  I was hoping this should give me
> enough of a baseline to be able to detect "out of whack" conditions before
> they show up in a puddle on the floor or a failure to cool.

We once had a cabin up on a mountain.  On occasion, the power would go out
and the refrigerator would let food thaw.  When power returned, the only
clue would be misshapen packages or a scent, so I wanted a sure-fire way to
know not if there was a power failure, but whether a failure had affected
the freezer and refrigerator contents.

The solution was inexpensive:  a high/low thermometer from Radio Shack.
When we'd go to the cabin, I'd simply look at the high temp and instantly
know if the power had been off and if damage had been done.

Nonny