Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"petem" <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hqnc5b$m7k$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<stuff snipped>

> Did you try the Heat-shrink tubing approch?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing
>
> Just use some large heat shrink tube on your keyfob then shrink it to
fit..

> when it will be worn out replace and your on the road again!

No, I hadn't thought of that, but it could be the winning suggestion.  I'd
have to copy the markings on the buttons with a silver tipped pen, but I
think I have some heat shrink large enough to at least make a trial run.

Thanks for your input!  I'm off to try it right now. . . .

Just tried it with one layer of heat shrink, and that helps.  I think
there's room enough for a second layer, and that should do the trick!

Good call.  This is why I always take my intractable problems to Usenet for
the "group mind" approach.  Thanks to all who contributed to the process, as
there were some very good "also rans" in this thread.

The heat shrink method is not invasive, doesn't require good hand/eye
coordination and looks like it will do the trick, making the buttons just a
little harder to depress by accident.  Considering how much I use heat
shrink tubing for everything around the house, I am surprised I didn't think
of it.  I use the large diameter stuff to put on broom handles, canes and
other things where I need to have a good grip (and not get splinters!).
Turns out to be the right size for the fob, too.  Best thing is that it
won't come undone accidentally like my O-ring/washer solutions do after a
while.  Now to try to draw little pictograms on the buttons to indicate what
they do.

Thanks again, Pete, and to everyone who responded.  Good work!

--
Bobby G.