Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Tskzn.145211$EE6.7743@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I had been told in safety meetings these "flight recorders" were coming
for
> our company vans....WHoa!!! Union strike...LOL

It makes economic sense given the liabilities.  In tough economic times,
there is in increase in people that insurers call "jumpers."  They look for
a company van or an expensive car at an intersections and for drivers
fussing with cell phones and not paying attention.  Then they "jump" out  in
front of a vehicle hoping to get hurt just enough to make an insurance
claim.

> Gives a whole new meaning to a SSD (solid state HDD). You can get about
60GB
> for $135 now.
> Endless loop and keeps the last 15 minutes or so. May go a long way.

You really don't need anything more than the last minute of a recording to
deal with car accidents.  They happen pretty quickly.  A 16GB card is
overkill, really, but it allows for faster FPS's and higher resolution, and
that's a good thing to have.  The CF card format means after an accident, I
can just pop out the card easily.  Don't know about you, but I've had stuff
disappear from cars that have been towed to wrecking yards.

My major concern is that testing to make sure the data is actually written
and is readable after a crash could be very expensive.  (-:

> Actually. I take that back about the penknife case. After reading your
rant
> about the hands full of crap, I empathise with that and a case would be
one
> more piece of crap in your hands when you are trying to get out of the
> vehicle.

Agreed, it's not the ideal solution, but it may be a decent work-around
until I can explore some of the options that people have contributed here.

> Solution? Don't carry it or black electrical tape over the buttons to make
> them hard to push. Replace when gooey.

Tried that, actually.  Two weeks of gooey tape riding around in a typical
pants pocket looks like a furry little mouse. It really just needs a harder
plastic "skin" around it that makes the buttons a little harder to press
than they are now.  I was kinda of hoping someone would post something
telling me "that's the fobshield 101, and you can get it at so and so's."

> I like the "O" ring under the button, depending on design.

That whole concept has a lot going for it.  No soldering, for one.  The
problem is that there are seven buttons on the remote.  A spacer between the
two halves of the fob may be the best bet.

--
Bobby G.