Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"Tony Hwang" <dragon40@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:jh0zn.43557$kj3.13200@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Robert Green wrote:
> > I've got the typical minivan keyless entry keychain fob but it's got a
> > serious design problem.

<stuff snipped>

>> I might be able to work a small slide or lever switch inside the fob, but
> > it's tight.  In the interim, I made a clamshell type case made of hard
clear
> > plastic bubble packing material and one of those retracting string
keychain
> > things so I can slide it out to activate it and then let the rewinding
> > mechanism withdraw it.  So far, the hard plastic sheath has reduced the
> > accidental openings, but it's butt ugly, ungainly and not a very good
> > solution.  Plus, it came unglued more than once.  There's a lot of
> > interesting stresses in pockets and pocketbooks.   Ideas, anyone?

> Hmm,
> More likely you'll end up dead fob. I'd rather carry it in a little
> sturdy pouch if I need to.

I don't wanna be a dead fob.  Sounds awful.  (0:

The problem is that it's a weird, rounded teardrop shaped thing and only a
hard case will keep the buttons from getting accidentally depressed.  I
managed to find some of the very hard clear plastic bubble packaging that
had close to a similar shape, but it was still much larger than the keyfob
itself.

I have a good friend that's a soldering pro and who used to build custom
devices for NASA that I could ask to do the soldering.  He's tackled worse
for me before, soldering tiny SMD devices and repairing tiny pushbuttons.
I'd really like a solution other than a case.  I tried that for a while.
The biggest problem, other than the added bulk, is that a case requires two
hands to operate, and might be very hard to do with gloves on.  I already
dropped the keys into deep snow fiddling with the case once this year.
That's just one of the many reasons I don't like the case approach.

I think there's enough room if I find the right switch.  I've taken some
photos.  The circuit board is very sparse, consisting of traces going to the
switch, a single IC, and the power source.

Thanks for your input, Tony.

--
Bobby G.