Re: No X-10 in dining room

JimH wrote:
> David White wrote:
>  > Can you put a controller unit in the dining room and test to see if X-10
>> works in a different outlet? I am not sure what this would prove, but
>> it could at least show if X-10 can work at all on that same circuit.
>>
>> One other thing is that I tried a passive coupler unit on my clothes
>> drier and it didn't help that much. I have heard that the
>> coupler/repeaters work much better.
>
> Thanks to your idea, I think I have figured it out.
>
> I attached the X-10 controller to my laptop, and installed the software
> there. I then hooked it up in the dining room, and plugged in a lamp and
> module. It worked in the dining room, but could not control modules in
> the other rooms.
>
> That was when I realized that my dryer is on a sub-panel. When building
> the house, I went over the 200 amps that the panel provided. I had a
> choice of digging the power line trench again, and running a bigger
> cable, along with installing a 400 amp panel. This option would have
> cost $4,000. I also had the option of adding a 100 amp sub-panel in my
> laundry room which cost $400. The choice was clear. Now, the dryer is on
> the sub-panel, and so is the phase coupler. I'd bet that doesn't solve
> the coupling problem for the main panel.
>
> I suspect the only fix would be to put a phase coupler on the main
> panel. But, I'm not an expert, so if others know better, I'm open to any
> input.
>
> Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.
>
> --
> Jim
Jim,

Good to have figured this odd one out. I suspect you are correct. I
suspect that a phase coupler wired into the main panel will solve your
troubles. There was a guy who posts here regularly who's name I cannot
recall that makes what I read was a really good unit. I am sorry but I
cannot find his site right now. Perhaps a posting with a title like
"seeking a wired-in coupler/repeater" would get his attention. Other
than that there are some wire-in units at SmartHome. All of these would
likely require a bit of electrician's time to get safely and properly
installed. But I sense it is not a big effort.

David