Webcam Help - Should Motion be Blurry

I bought my first webcam.  I didn't go with the cheapest, it's a
Quickcam 9000.  I want to use it for a security camera.  The still
image is nice and clear but anything that moves is a useless blur.
Are USB webcams supposed to be like that?

Background.. I have several NTSC security cameras, but all of them
produce low resolution images where you can't even read a licence
plate.  I want something that will record a nice clear/large image.
What frustrates me is that the cheapest 1.3MP snap camera will produce
the results I want, but I just run into roadblocks when trying to
achieve those results in a security system.  I thought I had the
solution with this Quickcam, but it is useless.  I tried recording
video on my linux machine (using motion software) and on a windows
machine using movie maker and the result were crap.  The only other
solution of which I can think is to use Gphoto and a Canon camera, but
should it be that complicated?  Is there not a hundred buck webcam
solution that can record clear moving pictures?

If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.