Re: Webcam Help - Should Motion be Blurry

[wdoe999@xxxxxxxxx writes]

> Background.. I have several NTSC security cameras, but all of them
> produce low resolution images where you can't even read a licence
> plate.  I want something that will record a nice clear/large image.
> What frustrates me is that the cheapest 1.3MP snap camera will produce
> the results I want, but I just run into roadblocks when trying to
> achieve those results in a security system.  I thought I had the
> solution with this Quickcam, but it is useless.  I tried recording
> video on my linux machine (using motion software) and on a windows
> machine using movie maker and the result were crap.  The only other
> solution of which I can think is to use Gphoto and a Canon camera, but
> should it be that complicated?  Is there not a hundred buck webcam
> solution that can record clear moving pictures?
>
> If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

I'm afraid not, currently your idea using Gphoto seems to be the best
one if it's fast enough for your use.  It has amazed me for years that
noone yet has combined today's cheap digital cameras with software
enabling it to become a high resolution security camera.

Six years ago I set up my website http://voksenlia.net which uses a
Nikon Coolpix 995 digital camera.  It's a 3.3 Mpix camera released in
2000, I think.  I thought that in a couple of years there would be
webcams giving the same quality making my messy and slow setup with
the Nikon camera obsolete.  Even though modern webcams now have
reached 3 Mpix, the dynamic range, sensitivity and overall quality
stink.  So I'm still stuck with the Coolpix and that high quality
webcam still seems a couple of years away.  I'm still looking, but
nothing yet is close to the quality of that old (nine years!) Coolpix
camera which has been selling for less than $100 on eBay for years.

--
Steinar ; NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI ; http://latinitas.org ; http://voksenlia.net