Re: current state of protocols; x10? what else?

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:51:08 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in
message  <4a6a010e.34161968@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>vajra <chalu.kim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>It is confusing to me what is out there? I remember reading on two
>>protocols.
>>
>>Can someone share what their experiences have been? I like to sense
>>humidity in a closet space, put a few switches to turn lights in the
>>kitchen before going in, sensing motion, and having a camera to
>>monitor an area. Can I do this wirelessly?

>What's available depends on where you are and what the electical
>specifications are. While X-10 is available for most countries, Insteon and
>UPB are not widely available. Europe has a lot of basic wireless systems
>that are not readily available in N. America.
>
>I'm unaware of any system that will do all that you wish off-the-shelf 9at
>least not with quality components).

For starters:

HomeSeer is one example of the combination of a software + a PC that can do
this:
www.homeSeer.com

A HAI panel can do this without a PC
http://www.homeauto.com/products/consolestouchscreens/omnitouchvideo.asp