Re: current state of protocols; x10? what else?

vajra <chalu.kim@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It is confusing to me what is out there? I remember reading on two
> protocols.
>
> Can someone share what their experiences have been? I like to sense
> humidity in a closet space, put a few switches to turn lights in the
> kitchen before going in, sensing motion, and having a camera to
> monitor an area. Can I do this wirelessly?

I've been starting to convert my house to Insteon.  This appears to be
more reliable than X10, primarily because of acknowledgements built into
the protocol.  Just a couple of lights so far, but they're working.
It's similar to X10, in that it's a powerline protocol.

smarthome.com sells modules for the switches and motion detectors you're
asking about.  I don't know about humidity.  It has nowhwere near the
bandwidth required for a camera, though.
--
Klingon programs don't have parameters.  They have arguments and win
them (Walter Bushell)