Re: Long Live the Incandescent!

In article <ug3s55t82njvp1dl856ttiv1s2iu4v597n@xxxxxxx>,
 Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:14:39 -0700, Steve Fenwick <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote in message  <nospam-4EE939.09143915072009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >In article <npor555p2m248jkv6la6mq9r74sme1e0mb@xxxxxxx>,
> > Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I have a pair of dimmable LEDs
> >> intended for ceiling cans in the kitchen which I can place on the same
> >> circuit as halogen incandescents and CFLs in which they perform admirably.
> >> Like CFLs, and unlike incandescents, they are not 'infinitely' dimmable,
> >> i.e, they have an abrupt shut-off at about four to five f-stops below full
> >> brightness.
> >
> >Vendor, manufacturer, model numbers?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Steve
>

> Mine are Cree LED Recessed Lighting Luminaire LR6C 6" Downlight Module and
> are "Neutral Color 3500K" which provides daylight, i.e., cooler than
> incandescent light..  As I recall, Cree also sells a warmer, 3200K version.
>
> GooBing  " Cree LR6C " for FAQ, vendors and manufacturer site.
>
> They are expensive -- ~ U$87
>
> Among the claims on the LR6C box are:
>
> 	1) "Designed to last 50,000 hours"
> 	2) ' uses 85% less energy than conventional bulbs and 50% less
> 		than CFLs"
>
> Note that CFLs and LEDs do not intrinsically put out warmer light when dimmed
> as do incandescent lamps. I suspect that some bright manufacturer will
> realize that part of the attraction of dimming incandescents is the resulting
> reduction in color temperature. One can, of course create most any color with
> a RGB or RGBY LED lamp using multi-channel DMX-512 (DMX512a) control.
>
> I note that one web site cites specs of "dimming to 25%".  I'll remeasure.
>
> HTH ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.ECOntrol.org

Thanks for the reference. I'm looking a the can compatibility, and it
looks like they want most 6" cans, and the trims snap onto the lights,
not the cans. Also need to see if they're compatible with UPB dimmers.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of