Re: Long Live the Incandescent!

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:22:14 -0700, Steve Fenwick <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <nospam-07D5C4.17221415072009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>In article <ug3s55t82njvp1dl856ttiv1s2iu4v597n@xxxxxxx>,
> Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Mine are Cree LED Recessed Lighting Luminaire LR6C 6" Downlight Module and
>> are "Neutral Color 3500K" which provides daylight, i.e., cooler than
>> incandescent light..  As I recall, Cree also sells a warmer, 3200K
>> version.
>>
>> GooBing  " Cree LR6C " for FAQ, vendors and manufacturer site.
>>

>Thanks for the reference. I'm looking a the can compatibility, and it
>looks like they want most 6" cans, and the trims snap onto the lights,
>not the cans. Also need to see if they're compatible with UPB dimmers.
>
>Steve

Yes, The LR6/LR6C trim replaces the existing trim in a retrofit. My existing
ceiling cans were not among those listed by Cree as compatible, and as I
recall, it took a minor tweak to coax them to fit. Something I'd want to
avoid if building a house from scratch but near-trivial compared to many
other retrofit tasks.

My only complaint is the high price. I do also note that the LR6C "Neutral
Color 3500K" seems much cooler than the 3400K photofloods of yesteryear. This
is consistent with Cree's indicating that their LR6 "warm" lamp is 2700K, not
3200K as I mis-remembered/wrote in my previous post.

Cree readily agreed to exchange my LR6C's for LR6's at no cost, but once I
got used to actually seeing and using mixed-temperature lighting, I 'warmed'
to the notion and decided to keep them. They are directly in front of a
north-facing window and complement and extend and simulate daylight from the
window very well.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org