Re: pc to lcd TV connectivity

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:w66dnccZ5PZuHz3anZ2dnUVZ_tmhnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Seems there should be a dvi+dig-audio to hdmi cable...  And the reverse
> > as well (of course it wouldn't support hdcp, oh well).
>
> There are video adapters, but I've yet to see anything that breaks out the
> audio too.  Probably because of the handshaking issues.  That and you'd
then
> need to convert the digital audio signal into one of the other forms.  I
> don't know that the raw bits can be converted with just simple
electronics.
> But HDMI audio is pretty poorly supported on computer systems.  I've yet
> come across much that can fully utilitize what can be sent over the HDMI
> link.  Most of the time it's the same data as would be sent over SPDIF.

Take a look at:

Asus M2A-VM HDMI: AM2 mATX motherboard

"Displays can be connected via HDCP-compliant HDMI, DVI, VGA, component,
S-Video, and even composite out. The 690G chipset also supports a
less-publicized feature known as SurroundView, which allows the Radeon X1250
graphics chip to not only provide dual simultaneous displays, but also to
operate in tandem with a dedicated video card to provide four displays at
once."

Asus also has a number of other HDMI enabled motherboards that have recently
appeared on the market with many more features such as the P5E-VM HDMI:

I will probably be getting one or the other when I bite the bullet and build
a Vista-capable machine.

--
Bobby G.