Re: Which controller?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:59:42 -0700 (PDT), jmariano <jmariano65@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message
<96b26185-5580-4715-b88d-15a3233bfa1a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I have a question that was probably addressed in this forum, but I
>could find a answer that I like.
>
>I have a background in electronics and programming, but don't know
>noting of home automation (have order some books !).
>
>I'm looking for a home automation controller to my new bough house. I
>want a cheap but reliable system. For now, my main objectives are to
>control some X10 devices, the irrigation system and to control or
>implement a security system (more on this latter).

 I would like the
>controller to be expandable, by the addition of new plug-in modules
>and/or by implementing a network of modules (rs-485 or similar). I
>think this will give me plenty of room to play in the future. On the
>software side, I also would like to be able to program the system
>using linux and open source tools.
>
>I think that the alternatives are a ?of the shelf? semi-professional
>system (Ocelot?), some sort of kit or DIY system like  the HSC_II (or
>HSC_C?) and a SBC, but since I don't now noting about this subject and
>reviewing all the systems on the market today would take me forever, I
>would appreciate the opinion of you all.
>
>Finally, one other question: what are the advantages /disadvantages of
>using an separated security system, as opposed to integrate the
>security system in the H.A. controller.
>
>Regards,
>
>José Mariano

Take a look at the Elk M1 family.
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/m1main.htm

It is relatively easy to interface to, is moderately priced, well thought out
very expandable, and implements security well (Elk is/was a security
company.)

It is widely supported by commercial HA software (HomeSeer, Charmed Quark,
Main Lobby)

There is much enthusiasm and support from a wide range of DIYers. For
example, visit www.cocoontech.com

It is also the basis of some Linux-based Home Automation systems:

http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2008/slides/197-linux_home_automation.pdf
http://www.linuxha.com/ElkM1/index.html
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=8920

HTH ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org
Visit my Home Automation and Electronics Porch Sale at
www.ECOntrol.org/porchsale.htm