Re: shielding low voltage wire, running low voltage wires aside 12-2 romex

------=_NextPart_000_05BF_01C862CB.C579DC00

> Thanks for the tips.  I've been trying to maintain separation in all =
cases but as several mentioned, it's nearly impossible in an older (late =
1800's) home to do this in all cases.  12" of separation sounds =
ridiculous especially when studs are often 16" or less on center.  You =
can only drill so many holes before you are doing more structural damage =
than necessary.  I thought about testing it by wrapping some low voltage =
wire around some hot romex and testing throughput on the low voltage.  =
Has this been done and published before?

John,

Sorry you got treated to the abusive post from my stalker.  Perhaps I =
should have been more clear when I said it's OK to run close and =
parallel for a few feet.  By that I meant closer than one foot -- not =
closer than 2 inches.

To recap, do not run high and low voltage services next to each other.  =
Keep them as far apart as you can for optimum performance.  You don't =
need lots of holes, but you can not run low and high voltage cables =
through the same holes.  That's a no-no (code to some; law to others; =
call it what you like but don't do it).

The test you're considering probably won't tell you what will happen =
long term if you run low voltage cables next to high voltage runs.  =
Everything may appear just fine at first but give problems later.  For =
example, I installed a security system in an older home in CT years ago. =
 Some time later an someone else ran new 110VAC cables right next to one =
of my keypad (data) runs.  Every so often one of the keypads would =
operate erratically.  It didn't start happening immediately and it =
wasn't all the time either.

On the first call I simply swapped out the pad, checked to see if it was =
OK and left.  Shortly thereafter I got a call that the system was still =
having problems.  The panel seemed OK because the other keypads were =
working.  Upon investigation I found the new Romex cable lying =
practically on top of my data cable.  I moved my cable over a couple of =
feet and the problem was solved.

I've also serviced numerous systems which we took over from competitors =
who couldn't fix problems.  If the client mentioned keypads not =
responding or giving wrong indications, we'd disconnect the data cables =
and meter them.  On a fair number of occasions we found AC voltage being =
inducted into the security system cables.  Almost invariably rerouting a =
few cables solved the problems.

I've wired quite a few older homes, John.  One of them originally =
belonged to Sebastian Shallus, brother of Jacob Shallus.  History buffs =
will tell you how old that house is.  It was moved a number of years ago =
to North Canton, Connecticut.  If you need help figuring ways to wire an =
older home I'd be glad to share some techniques with you.  I promise not =
to suggest anything that will weaken the structure.  Call when you have =
some time (my phone is in my sig line) and I'll try to help.

--=20

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
Bass Home Electronics
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota =B7 Florida =B7 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
Sales & Tech Support 941-925-8650
Customer Service 941-232-0791
Fax 941-870-3252
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
------=_NextPart_000_05BF_01C862CB.C579DC00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt; Thanks for the tips.&nbsp; I've been trying to =
maintain=20
separation in all&nbsp;cases but as several mentioned, it's nearly =
impossible in=20
an older&nbsp;(late 1800's) home to do this in all cases.&nbsp; 12" of=20
separation sounds&nbsp;ridiculous especially when studs are often 16" or =
less on=20
center.&nbsp; You&nbsp;can only drill so many holes before you are doing =
more=20
structural&nbsp;damage than necessary.&nbsp; I thought about testing it =
by=20
wrapping some&nbsp;low voltage wire around some hot romex and testing =
throughput=20
on the&nbsp;low voltage.&nbsp; Has this been done and published=20
before?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sorry you got treated to the abusive post from my=20
stalker.&nbsp; Perhaps I should have been more clear when I said it's OK =
to run=20
close and parallel for a few feet.&nbsp; By that I meant closer than one =
foot --=20
not closer than 2 inches.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>To recap, do not run&nbsp;high and low voltage=20
services&nbsp;next to each other.&nbsp; Keep them as far apart as you =
can for=20
optimum performance.&nbsp; You don't need lots of holes, but you can not =
run low=20
and high voltage cables through the same holes.&nbsp; That's a no-no =
(code to=20
some; law to others; call it what you like but don't do =
it).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The test you're considering probably won't tell you =
what will=20
happen long term if you run low voltage cables next to high voltage =
runs.&nbsp;=20
Everything may appear just fine at first but give problems later.&nbsp; =
For=20
example, I installed a security system in an older home in CT years =
ago.&nbsp;=20
Some time later an someone else ran new 110VAC cables right next to one =
of my=20
keypad (data) runs.&nbsp; Every so often one of the keypads would =
operate=20
erratically.&nbsp; It didn't start happening immediately and it wasn't =
all the=20
time either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>On the first call I simply swapped out the pad, =
checked to see=20
if it was OK and left.&nbsp; Shortly thereafter I got a call that the =
system was=20
still having problems.&nbsp; The panel seemed OK because the other =
keypads were=20
working.&nbsp; Upon investigation I found the new Romex cable lying =
practically=20
on top of my data cable.&nbsp; I moved my cable over a couple of feet =
and the=20
problem was solved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've also serviced numerous systems which =
we&nbsp;took over=20
from competitors who couldn't fix problems.&nbsp; If the client =
mentioned=20
keypads not responding or giving wrong indications, we'd disconnect the =
data=20
cables and meter them.&nbsp; On a fair number of occasions we found AC =
voltage=20
being inducted into the security system cables.&nbsp; Almost invariably=20
rerouting a few cables solved the problems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've wired quite a few older homes, John.&nbsp; One =
of them=20
originally belonged to Sebastian Shallus, brother of Jacob =
Shallus.&nbsp;=20
History buffs will tell you how old that house is.&nbsp; It was moved a =
number=20
of years ago to North Canton, Connecticut.&nbsp; If you need help =
figuring ways=20
to wire an older home I'd be glad to share some techniques with =
you.&nbsp; I=20
promise not to suggest anything that will weaken the structure.&nbsp; =
Call when=20
you have some time (my phone is in my sig line) and I'll try to=20
help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR><FONT size=3D2>-- =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards,<BR>Robert L Bass</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT =
size=3D2>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D&gt;<BR>Bass Home=20
Electronics<BR>4883 Fallcrest Circle<BR>Sarasota =B7 Florida =B7 =
34233<BR></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.bassburglaralarms.com";><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.bassburglaralarms.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT =
size=3D2>Sales &amp;=20
Tech Support 941-925-8650<BR>Customer Service 941-232-0791<BR>Fax=20
941-870-3252<BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D&gt;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_05BF_01C862CB.C579DC00--