Re: shielding low voltage wire, running low voltage wires aside 12-2 romex

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "John M Lauck" wrote:
>>
>> Couple questions:
>>
>> First, is it possible to run Swann security camera (black, shielded,
>> power/audio/video in one) wire along side 12-2 romex.  I'm wiring
>> security cameras and external motion lights and it would be much
>> easier to run this pair of wires side by side.  Is there any problem
>> doing so?

As long as your cable is shielded, I don't see that there's going to be
much of a problem for "short distances".  Terminate your shield properly
though or your efforts will wind up like a Bass rant about Bush.  On
many existing jobs where you're trying to route low voltage wire you're
bound to come across situations where parallel runs next to 110VAC are
unavoidable.  Try and keep them separated as best as you can.

> Don't do it.  Code requires separation for safety.

What "Code" would that be??  NEC??  Ten Commandments?  Uniform Code of
Military Justice?  Pirates Code??  NFPA??  Chapter and verse, please.