Re: Using RCS RS-485 8-Button LCD Keypad with ELK M1

On Jan 22, 5:32=A0pm, "R. Lejeune" <i...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think it would be quite that easy.
>
> First of all, the ELK M1 RS-485 bus and the RCS bus run at different speed=
s.
> You'd have to connect the RCS Keypad to a Serial Port Expander (M1XSP) to
> get the baud rate to 9600.
> Also, the RCS keypad is a polled device. =A0You'd have to write rules to q=
uery
> the keypad, then write rules to capture the response(s).
>
> Have you thought about using RSC thermostats and temp sensors? =A0(TR16-48=
5,
> TR40-485, or RS21) =A0The ELK M1 supports them.
>
> "Ray" <Ray...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > Hello all,
>
> > Has anyone used the RCS RS-485 keypad with an ELK M1? From a quick
> > read it appears they should be compatable. Considering it as an "easy"
> > way to set temperature should I choose not to install a thermosat
> > (mentioned in my earlier post) and perhaps a cheaper interface (but
> > not as nice) than the ELK touch screen.
>
> > Thanks, Ray- Hide quoted text -

RL, Thanks for your reply. Was planning on the Serial Port Expander as
needed that for my UPB lighting already in place. Didn't realize I
would have to wrte rules though. All indicators from the help I
recieved on this board point to going with thermostats and biting the
bullet on the ELK touch$creen if I want a fancy interface without
relying on a PC.

I will take a close look at the RCS thermostats you recommended.

Thanks again, Ray