Re: Why would I want to use thermostats with the M1-G?

On Jan 21, 3:39=A0pm, Lewis Gardner
<lgard...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ray...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Was just thinking and trying to plan out what I need to implement the
> > ELK M1 in my home. In the area of temperature control, I have a
> > hydronic warm air system with A/C - 2 air handlers, one which has 2
> > zone dampers.
>
> > In looking at thermostats (HAI models), I then questioned if I even
> > need them - and might be better suited to simply using temperature
> > sensors in the place of the 3 themostats. Am I missing something or
> > does this make sense?
>
> The main reason to use thermostats is as a demarcation and user
> interface to the HVAC system.
>
> In your own home this might not be needed. If you are comfortable with
> servicing your own HVAC system the demarcation between HVAC and
> automation isn't an issue. However if you have problems with the HVAC
> system be ready for whatever brain dead tech that comes along to blame
> any problems on your automation system and try to sell you a whole new
> HVAC system.
>
> Thermostats present a fairly friendly user interface that most people
> can understand. You may be able to make a better interface with a
> touchscreen (especially for a 3 zone system) but not everyone will look
> for temperature controls in a non-thermostat type device. Once again, in
> your own home this might not be a problem unless you regularly have
> house sitters, guests or others that might need to adjust the temperature.=

> One other item is that thermostats have a anticipation feature that will
> start the unit before a set point to make the temperature more even. You
> should be able to code a feature like this.
>
> I have a similar issue in my house. Since it is a older house with 2
> floors, a single HVAC unit and no return air from the second floor a
> thermostat does not work effectively in the summer. I solved this
> problem by using a Homevision to run the AC according to duty cycle
> instead of temperature. My control relays run in parallel with the
> existing thermostat and I set the duty cycle to 0 minutes per hour when
> the HVAC guy comes. I pick up the current HVAC status via debounced LEDs
> across the existing thermostat contacts. This way the Homevision knows
> when the thermostat last ran the AC and won't short cycle of run the AC
> prematurely.
>
> Since I have gone over to a M1 I am now debating myself whether to get
> an controllable thermostat (RCS) or migrate the programing over to the M1.=

Great response.. Thanks. I did think of HVAC service, that is pretty
much limited to the boiler but is key as you mention. Was thinking of
some simple override switching, but at that point might as well just
put in the thermostats.