Re: video wiring for lcd panels: HDMI, DVI, other?

On Jan 17, 4:38 pm, RickH <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 10:26 am, John M Lauck <recaffeina...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If you were wiring to display video on lcd panels throughout a home
> > (say 2 to 4 screens), what wiring would you use?  HDMI seems to be
> > easiest and most cost effective because it's smaller wire (vs
> > composite, dvi etc), best quality and includes audio and video.
> > However, are there any encryption or other issues with using HDMI? The
> > purpose would be to display anything from a computer, tv or security
> > system.  I'm aware that the system would require conversion and
> > distribution boxes to bring everything into HDMI.  Am I wrong to
> > assume that would be best?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > John
>
> Are you saying you want to hard-wire-distribute video at 1080p hi
> def?  If not then HDMI might be overkill, if so then HDMI is good
> because you can use a simple HDMI splitter/selector boxes and cheaper
> HDMI cable (22 gauge even) can be had now from monoprice.com in long
> lengths (for under $2 a foot terminated).  HDMI signal is all digital
> so degradation is usually not a big issue, I'm running 1080p over a 50
> foot HDMI right now and the picture is incredible, 100 feet or more
> would probably not be an issue either.  No data conversions or baluns
> either to mess up the picture.

Rick,
That's kind of what I want to do.  I already have a whole house audio
system in place.  And really I don't need 1080p hi def.  I just
figured the cables and a 4 port hdmi distributor hub isn't that
expensive.  I'd rather not have to deal with converters or baluns,
especially at the distribution end.  Basically, if I have a computer
in the basement that loads the web interface on my Swann dvr and maybe
cycles through some other web sites (weather, news etc), I'd like to
be able to have a few monitors throughout the house that can display
this content. Considering most of the display units will be on a wall
(in place of a sconce) I won't have room for conversion hardware
behind them.  The video terminals would be somewhat dumb terminals.
So, if I wanted to change the content I'll use my nokia n800 or
something of the sort to vnc into the basement box.  I've seen
monitors that take hdmi and aren't terribly expensive.  At least, the
price of the monitor would be the same as buying a cheaper monitor and
the necessary conversion/balun kits.  I plan on wiring some cat5e for
future expansion.  Overall it seems like the size of the HDMI wire is
best compared to component and DVI.  I'd have to drill some monstrous
holes to fit a DVI end into the wall.