Re: Open Source

"Karl Denninger" wrote:

> Yeah, ok, "stick a device in the middle."
>
> Nice idea, but for one small problem - now you have to bury a wire out there "in the middle" and put something there that is a
> ZWave device.
>
> Suddenly that nice "reasonably inexpensive" job turns into one where you need Mr. Electrician to come in, Mr. Trencher to come in,
> holes need to be made in the house to bring wire out from the panelboard, etc.

There are two types of HA enthusiasts -- DIYers and those who hire pros.  Trenching and running buried cable is a snap unless your
yard is asphalt or granite.  However, in many coses even that isn't needed (see below).

> Not exactly practical in a lot of cases eh?

It depends on what you consider a lot of cases.  You have a dock that is located a considerable distance from your home.  Most folks
don't.  In fact, I'd venture to say that the vast majority of homes don't have docks, let alone ones that far away.  I haven't seen
your yard but I have friends and one family member with homes with docks on deep water canals.  All have power at the docks (you
kind of have to have it unless your boat is muscle powered) and lighted walkways leading down.  In such cases the only thing that
would be needed to bring Z-Wave to the dock is a switched power outlet partway down.

What it all boils down to, Karl, is personal preference.  You're not interested in marketing your product.  Most providers in the
industry, including myself are.  You're not interested in spending money on Z-Wave's SDK.  Others are.  No problem.  There's room
for you and for them.  If their approach is of no interest whatsoever to you that should be the end of it.  But if not having the
SDK is such a concern as to elicit a slew of FY's, perhaps you should reconsider your purchasing decision.  If it were me and I
wanted to make my app profitable (I know, you said you don't care about that) I'd hop on the Z-Wave bandwagon because I believe it's
got an excellent chance of success.

Oh, well.  I think we've pretty well beaten this horse.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics