Home Automation Software?

Hi there.  I am looking into getting some home automation software
that I can customize to a good degree.  I got homeseer trial, but I
find it both clunky (the interface is very slow), and expensive.  I'm
wondering if there's any good open source programs (preferably written
in C or a derivative) that can control my Insteon power-linc, and USB-
UART.  I don't need web access, just to be able to send and recieve
commands, and to be able to run custom scripts when I get an event.

Thanks

John