ToggleLinc Companion Switch 23892

I have been reading the description of the ToggleLinc 23892 Companion
Switch on the Automated Outlet web page and it appears that it could be
also used as a standalone switch in a single switch installation.  I
know you can use a mechanical 3 way switch as a single location switch
by only using one terminal going to the light, and I don't see why it
would not work in this case, but I have never seen a 23892 switch and I
have no idea if ToggleLinc has done something intentionally to prevent
this.  Has anyone looked into or tried this before?  I suspect there is
a very good reason why you cannot but I would like to hear it.  Thanks.