Re: Ceiling Fans...

> While it's not really an HA solution, many fans are now available with
> thermostatically controlled remotes - even those at HD or Lowe's for under
> $200. If the fan you like doesn't come with it, you can buy a retrofit kit
> for about $40.

Yep, added one of those kits to ours four years ago and it works great.  I
think it's only needed a battery replacement once.

> You could still use X10 to control the power so that the fan can be turned
> on and off remotely

The downside to this it the remote add-on (at least the one we have) also
has a light switch on it.  This so you can turn the light on/off from the
wireless remote.  If you use a remote wall switch you'd lose this feature.
I suppose it might be possible to use a remote switch that cut just the fan
power.  But it'd have to be a switch that used it's own hot and neutral
leads as the fan's remote cuts power for speed control.  The downside here
is you start getting into rigging up wiring that's undoubtedly not going to
meet electrical codes.  I wouldn't want something automated that way as
things like that tend to get 'forgotten' over time and later wiring
introduces big problems.  But I'm not here to argue that it is or isn't
possible or safe, just that I wouldn't recommend going that route.

That and, IIRC, the wireless remote has an "off" setting.