Re: X10 Interference from the Cellet Cellphone Charger

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 04:11:11 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <zfkLi.150401$ax1.33282@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> I can certainly see how this charger will block X10 communication if the
>> X10 modules do not incorporate AGC.  I'll do some more testing, and will
>> add a report on the X10 Troubleshooting page when I get the chance.
>
>First Draft:
>
>http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_Cellet_noise.htm
>
>Comments and questions appreciated.
>
>Jeff

Looks like an INSTEON killer too (INSTEON self-repetition/signal boosting
notwithstanding).

And suggests another product that would provide a public service and have
some commercial potential.

Up to now most folks plug new AC devices into the powerline 'communication
medium' in their house and then retroactively try to determine what the
problem is with  X-10 and(or) INSTEON as noise and signal attenuation
accumulate, in varying degrees, with each device.

A testing tool could provide a more proactive approach by quantitatively
assessing potential detrimental effects _before_ plugging a prospective new
electrical device into the 'system'.

It c/would incorporate an isolation filter, noise measurement, signal
attenuation and visual indicator in one unit. Presumably the 'signal
attenuation' portion would consist in a transmitter and a receiver that
would register 100% in the absence of a signal sucker.

For this purpose, the isolation and power to the DUT and the tester itself
could be provided by a pair of low-voltage transformers with their
secondaries connected together (with or w/o a capacitor). I've played with
this arrangement with INSTEON and it works well for isolation (and FWIW,
for transmission of INSTEON/X-10 signals over a low-voltage AC line when
the transformers are bypassed with capacitors and the secondaries connected
with up to 200 feet of Cat5).

The test function might be incorporated into a future version of the XTB-xx
transmitter with the front AC outlet that is usually just a pass-through
being the outlet into which one plugs in the Device Under Test. Indicators
could be as simple as one row of LEDs for attenuation and one row for
noise. Or a small LCD or via RS-232.

...Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org