Re: HDHomeRun firmware downgrades

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Dan Lanciani <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote:

| Sometime after the version of firmware that I'm currently running
| (20070131) SiliconDust has apparently added a lock to the HDHomeRun
| to prevent the loading of firmware older than the current version.
| Can anyone who has been following the versions tell me the latest
| version I can load without being locked in?  SiliconDust won't say.
| This lock makes it impossible to back out an upgrade if there are
| application compatibility problems.

It may be the case that, due to the firmware image becoming larger, that
the old firmware format was insufficient for anticipated future firware.
So perhaps what they have done is inserted a new firmware loader in the
last release under the old format, and committed to using the new format
thereafter.

The above is just a plausible guess.  In this case you could also detect
if that scenario might be the case.  If they require this firmware version
to be a step taken to upgrade beyond it from versions before it, that could
very well be the case.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
| first name lower case at ipal.net   /  spamtrap-2007-09-28-0830@xxxxxxxx |