Re: What frequencies can I allocate for CCTV use with digital Comcast?

"RickH" <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Sep 4, 4:27 pm, RickH <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I currently have Comcast basic analog service coming into my home.  I
>> send this to my distribution amplifier via a low pass in-line
>> transformer that basically only allows the channels below channel 103
>> or so to pass through.  This is so I can "clean up" the bandwidth
>> above channel 103 to modulate my CCTV security cameras onto and view
>> security cameras just by going to those modulated channels, just like
>> switching TV channels.  I only use the tuners in the TV's because we
>> dont have premium channels.
>>
>> Now I am thinking of switching to Comcast digital service and getting
>> some premium channels.  I realize that I will need converter boxes for
>> whatever sets I want premium channels.  But I'd still like to be able
>> to keep an analog signal alive throughout the house with my filter
>> xformer and CCTV camera modulators.  For the TV's where I just want to
>> use the built in tuner.
>>
>> Will I have any issues with modulating my 4 CCTV cameras to their
>> current channels 124, 121, 118, and 115?  Or must I rethink how I can
>> use my modulated CCTV cameras in a digital Comcastic world?  I do have
>> 2 runs of RG6 to every room only one of which is currently being used.
>
> The title of my post was misleading, so I changed it to reflect what
> channels can I allocate for my own use if I have Comcast digital.

Not quite what you asked, but most cable companies will have A channel set
aside for apartment building lobbies to broadcast their secuirty video. Im
my case (Rogers) it's Channel 2 on the box or real frequency is channel 59.
I found the menu codes for my box on the net which lets you view the actual
frequency and strength of a given channel. I also sent an email to customer
support to confirm this, telephone support was less than useful.

Be careful though, as cheap filters will block the uplink signal for PPV
purchases etc. I bought a pricey Channel Vision notch filter for channel 59
and it was useless for what I wanted. I was using channel 125 for a while,
but then I slowly started losing channels. I think the filter was screwing
up the channel authorizations somehow.

Other people here have recommended TinLee.com for filters.