Re: usb data collecting?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:13:56 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
<wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote:

>Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
>used within windows?  I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
>winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
>pumps have been operating.  Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
>monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
>actually being used.
>
>I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
>temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
>or two.
>
>Thanks,
>-Bill Kearney

For easier pogramming capability, I suggest a USB gizmo that is
seen as a virtual serial port device, or use a USB to serial
adapter and use a real serial port controlled gizmo for the data
I/O. I'd stay away from devices that require dll based
programming unless you are an experienced programmer.