Re: usb data collecting?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:13:56 -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
> Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
> used within windows?  I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
> winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
> pumps have been operating.  Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
> monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
> actually being used.
>
> I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
> temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
> or two.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bill Kearney

Take a look at Labjack's U3 ($99.00):

http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u3.php?prodId=25

They have various programming interfaces to it and it works with
more OS's than just Windows.

You'll need to do some filtering (it's a 5v(?) device) but I don't
think that's too much of a problem.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx