Re: FAQ?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:51:45 GMT, peter wrote:

> "Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:43:24 GMT, peter wrote:
>>> Is there an quick reference for z-wave and insteon so that after reading
>>> them, I will know the devices I need to accomplish a certain task. The
>>> FAQs
>>> I could find are manufacturer's marketing stuff and does not go into
>>> technical detail.
>>
>> I've just started putting together a home automation 101 page. It's
>> X10/Insteon and it's not done yet.
>>
>> http://www.linuxha.com/other/intro_ha.html
>>
>> It's still needs work, for instance, I haven't added the section
>> discussing the Wireless APs that you use with the wireless remote and
>> to connect the phases (needed for homes that have two 120v phases).
>
> the long/short slots on the wall outlet seems to be reversed

Okay, that's just being picky! ;-) I'll try to get that corrected in a
later release. I hadn't even noticed.

> one of the things I would love to see is a diagram showing representative
> devices (remote, controllers, light switch) and signal path showing how
> radio and powerline signals traveling to/from each device. From this
> illustration, one should be able to tell that a hand held remote cannot talk
> to powerline device directly (which I think is the case for insteon, not
> 100% sure).

I 'stole' (I have Smarthome's permission) this for my presentation:

http://www.linuxha.com/ha_presentation/img54.html

but this has no explaination yet. Very brief explanation: Understand
the the radio portion is (at least at this time) for the bridging of
phases or the receiving of commands from a wireless remote. As of
today there is nothing available to send to (I think). Otherwise
everything is PLC (wire based). A signals leave the Insteon controller
(PC, wall switch or console) and hits the power line. Each Insteon
device the signal hits repeats (regenerates) the signal as it
passes. The AP's also repeat the signal into the wireless ether (then
this gets repeated over again on the other phase when the 2nd AP
receives it). When it reaches the addressed device the device will ACK
(received OK and performed the command), NAK, (received but can't
perform the commandm maybe because the device is off or the command is
confusing) or 'Lack' (nothing heard it).

BTW, this presentation is not up to date. I have added a lot more
information, removed a lot of information and I'm working on adding a
lot more information. I'm doing several presentations to PC groups
(PCPUG, LILAX, LUGIP and Trenton Computer Festival) I'll trim it as
appropriate. I haven't added any notes yet but I hope to actually add
my voice to the presentation. I'm currently experimenting with a lot
of things.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx