Re: FAQ?

"Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:slrnfjonue.d27.njc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:43:24 GMT, peter wrote:
>> Is there an quick reference for z-wave and insteon so that after reading
>> them, I will know the devices I need to accomplish a certain task. The
>> FAQs
>> I could find are manufacturer's marketing stuff and does not go into
>> technical detail.
>
> I've just started putting together a home automation 101 page. It's
> X10/Insteon and it's not done yet.
>
> http://www.linuxha.com/other/intro_ha.html
>
> It's still needs work, for instance, I haven't added the section
> discussing the Wireless APs that you use with the wireless remote and
> to connect the phases (needed for homes that have two 120v phases).

the long/short slots on the wall outlet seems to be reversed

one of the things I would love to see is a diagram showing representative
devices (remote, controllers, light switch) and signal path showing how
radio and powerline signals traveling to/from each device. From this
illustration, one should be able to tell that a hand held remote cannot talk
to powerline device directly (which I think is the case for insteon, not
100% sure).