Re: Integrated Alarms, Inc. are Evil , be aware!!!

> They have increased their rate last month by $5
> for the residents of Fremont California. When
> you ask for canceling your service, they say that
> the 2-year contract that you signed five years ago,
> are automatically re-newed by itself each year on
> the anniversary date of your contract. You are
> stuck with their rate increase and they have forced
> you their services if you miss a tiny 30 day
> cancellation period.

Check the contract carefully.  In most cases where
there is provision for periodic rate increases the
client has the option to cancel if the increase is not
acceptable.  Otherwise they could arbitrarily decide
to raise the rates by $100 per month and you'd have
to pay it.  If the contact allows them to raise the
price without notice and without you having the right
to cancel, any court in the land would strike it down
as "unconscionable."

Note, however, that the 30-day cancellation notice
is the minimum.  In other words, you can cancel any
time *before* the last 30 days of the term.  Many
alarm companies require 60 days' notice.  That is
actually worse for the client than the 30-day term in
your agreement.

> I am going to see a lawyer to file a class action
> lawsuit against Integrated Alarm Services Group...

You can do that if you like.  However, if the town
has instituted a requirement for verified response
and that causes the alarm company to incur added
operational costs, it may be difficult for you to prevail.
Most alarm monitoring agreements include a clause
allowing the alarm company to pass along to the
customer any added cost due to taxes or
governemental regulations.  This may seem unfair
but without it the alarm company could be forced to
opperate at a loss (worst case scenario).

To be clear, I'm not defending your alarm company's
actions -- just explaining the contractual basis for
what they are doing.  Without benefit of having read
your particular contract I can only surmise what is in
it but the things I mentioned are pretty standard in
this industry.

I hope you are able to resolve this issue to your
satisfaction.  Best of luck with it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass