Re: RFID Flap Silences Security Researchers

>> got some links on that case?

No.  It was a newspapaer article.

> I have no information on that case, but they did something similar
> locally last(?) year I think.  It was somewhat clever.  They replaced
> the door access reader with their own and wedged the door lock open.
> They pointed a camera at the keypad inside.  They didn't do anything
> near the ATM proper.  I probably would have noticed that the door
> was already unlocked and not inserted my card, but apparently many
> did not.  It isn't clear that it would be all that hard to go one
> step further and make the door access device actually work since
> you don't need to pass through a specific code but any code which
> will open the door.

In Brazil it's done a little more simply.  They wait for someone well dressed to approach his car and jump him.  The victim is
forced to drive to an ATM and withdraw R$800 (about US$380), which is the daily limit.  The crime is called a "relâmpago" which
means lightning kidnapping because it's all over in a few minutes.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics