Re: RFID Flap Silences Security Researchers

In article <SWsNh.9640$cb7.5443@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, petem001@xxxxxxxxx (Petem) writes:

| "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> a icrit dans le message de
| news: AqGdnYym_J3DX5_bnZ2dnUVZ_qCmnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| >> The shroud sits there and extracts
| >> the stripe data on the card before
| >> it slides past and into the real reader...
| >
| > Hmm.  This is different from a newspaper story I read a while back where
| > thieves used a skimming device in the US.  In that case the device read
| > the cards and pass codes but did not pass anything on to the real ATM.
| > They were arrested.
|
| got some links on that case?

I have no information on that case, but they did something similar
locally last(?) year I think.  It was somewhat clever.  They replaced
the door access reader with their own and wedged the door lock open.
They pointed a camera at the keypad inside.  They didn't do anything
near the ATM proper.  I probably would have noticed that the door
was already unlocked and not inserted my card, but apparently many
did not.  It isn't clear that it would be all that hard to go one
step further and make the door access device actually work since
you don't need to pass through a specific code but any code which
will open the door.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com