Re: Does anyone know who is making these light bulbs?

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
>> Following are a few sources:
>> http://www.bosstar.com/ (appears to be a manufacturer)
>> http://www.mbelectronics.com (retailer)
>> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3528 (application
> notes)
>> http://www.sunbeamtech.com/ (PC supplier)
>
> Thanks. These apparently are all long, small tubes.  CCFL's are very
> popular
> as laptop backlights but I have been looking all day for 110VAC screw-base
> CCFL's to no avail.  They sound very useful for lights controlled by
> motion
> detectors and places where waiting for a CFL to come to full brightness
> might be a safety issues, like staircases.  We're due for another big rate
> increase in the DC area and I'd like to find CFL's that work in the places
> that have previously given me problems.
>
> --
> Bobby G.

READ the application notes above.

You won't find any 120VAC screw type CCFL. They need a step-up
transformer as they operate at 180-800VAC or higher. Since this is most
often a 2-3V source, the switching is done at 100KHz or higher. A
120:1200 VAC transformer with current limiting circuitry would be too
expensive. Beware some pwr supplies operate at 5,000VAC--so 300V
or 600V insulation is a no-no. I'd buy the wiring harness/set.

See
http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=260&name=Power%20Supplies%20,%20CCFL
or
http://www.solarlighting.com/cut_sheet_CCFL_transformer_model_5000.html
for pwr supply
http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/fl.pdf
for transformers and
http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=261&name=12"%20Cold%20Cathode%20Fluorescent%20Lamps%20,%20CCFL
for bulbs.

You might try:
http://www.ccfldirect.com/customlamps.html

What's wrong with LED's? They are intrinically safe.