Re: Troubleshooting Channel Vision IR-Over-Coax

"Rob Ivy" <robivy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> My only thought (and I'm no expert on any of this so this is just
> speculation) is that perhaps there is a limit to how much distance the
> DC can travel without weakening to the point where it can no longer
> carry the IR signal.   My four coax runs where the IR-4100s are
> located are of approx 40ft, 50ft, 120ft, and 120ft, respectively.
> Perhaps the single 12V DC input to the IR-4000 doesn't have the
> horsepower necessary?  The Channel Vision instructions state that 4
> IR-4100s can be run off of a single engine, and that the max distance
> to the engine is 500ft, however it doesn't say if that is 500 feet in
> aggregate or each individual run.
>
> Any help/thoughts/advice is MUCH appreciated, as this is driving me
> nuts.  Many thanks in advance.   -Rob

It sounds like a voltage drop problem.  What size coax did you run?
The trouble with Channel Vision specs is they don't specify conductor
size when stating 500ft runs. My calcs suggest #14 AWG is appropriate
such as Belden 1523A RG11 Broadband Cable.

Baring this, I would replace the IR-4000 and/or it power supply then
the splitter.

Hope this helps,

Michael