Re: the light bulb police are coming

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:44:53 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in
message  <45f807f9.1876216421@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>GE announced their HEI (High Efficiency Incandescent) a few weeks ago but I
>do not recall seeing anything. Here's a URL with a few details.
>
>http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/ge/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070223005120&newsLang=en&ndmConfigId=1001109&vnsId=681
>
>If they can deliver on their projected efficiency, it really alters things.
>Efficiency that matches CFLs, fitting the same fixtures as today's
>incandescents, no hazardous waste disposal issue (speculation, as I don't
>know what their magical new materials are), no PLC noise, priced below CFLs.

On a trip to my local Home depot, I recently bought some of their new line of
n:Vision Compact fluorescent lamps ( CFL ).

The 60-watt equivalents are $1.70 each.

They are available in a about 15 different color temperatures, wattages, and
designs (pars. lamp, flood, candelabra, bug,etc) They are available in
daylight, white and warm white -- all of which I like for different purposes.
I have put up to six on a single INSTEON circuit with no visible/noticeable
effect on INSTEON performance. They are not rated for dimming but do dim just
fine to at least 12% of output. They are warranted with the 800 number of
where to get satisfaction permanently marked on the base. They are
significantly smaller in height and diameter than the 60-watt bulb they
replace..

Let me repeat:

-- Readily available (not a specialty item)
-- Various styles (floods, pars, bulbs, candelabra, etc)
-- Cheap $1.70 each for 60 watt equivalent
-- INSTEON/PLC friendly
-- Better choice of light color than incandescents (daylight, white, warm)
-- Dimmable (but not to zero and not officially)
-- 800 number on lamp for warranty
-- Smaller than the 60 watt incandescent they replace

What's left to complain about and misrepresent besides hazardous waste
(another topic for another day)?

Of *course* there are and will be other improvements to CFLs and other
lighting technologies, and of *course* CFLs are not a panacea. but these were
available yesterday -- not maybe in 2010.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org