Re: DST and My Computers

"B Fuhrmann" <b-fuhrmann-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:12v8su4o5iopt30@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "EdwardATeller" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
> > Maybe no savings, but I am going to enjoy the extra sunshine in the
> > evening, plus my boys will probably sleep later in the morning.  That
> > means I get to sleep later.
>
> ABSOLUTELY!
> It will be great to have time after work to do things outdoors in the
> evening.

That's a psychological benefit, and a nice one, but the converse is that a
lot of people get up and go to work in total darkness.  I found that pretty
depressing during the years I did it.  "OH" Dark Thirty was the Army's
phrase for it.  Here's another interesting item I found that adds another
dimension to the problem:

"One other interesting point of opposition to the extension of DST comes
from fire chiefs. The (Chicago) Herald News points out:  For years, the
International Association of Fire Chiefs has framed a widespread public
information campaign around daylight-saving time, reminding people to change
the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when they change
their clocks. The last weekend in November is too late for the reminder,
fire officials say."

http://www.poynter.org/dg.lts/id.2/aid.85796/column.htm

--
Bobby G.