Re: DST and My Computers

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:37:34 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<iv6dnViGCexXD2nYnZ2dnUVZ_hjinZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>There was a pretty thorough article in today's WaPo that talked about the
>non-dollar benefits, and there certainly are some.
>
>http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/     [  registration
>equired )-:  ]
>
>What I found interesting was who's been fighting hard to end DST: "That
>leaves the opposition mainly in the hands of airlines, which say they have
>trouble competing for arrival slots at foreign airports when U.S. time
>doesn't match up with European time."
>
>The article pretty much concludes what I've concluded: "Adding an hour of
>sunlight at the end of the day is primarily a "lifestyle benefit," Prerau
>says, but it's mainly the promise of energy savings that got this bill
>passed in 2005."

[snip]

Anther benefit is increased public awareness as witnessed by the uptick in
snarky comments in this newsgroup.  ("The journey of a thousand miles
begins beneath one's feet." )

That I've been invited to give my first lecture/talk on the topic of global
climate change in more than a decade to a professional group is another
factoidito that accords with my personal impression that the topic is
finally getting some public attention. IMO, if DST is partly a component of
the required public education strategy, so be it.

The first issue of _Nature_ (vol 445 issue 7128 Feb 8 2007) after the
Intergovernmantal Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report was released had
this to say:

	"The IPCC report has served a useful purpose in removing the last
	 ground from the skeptics' feet, leaving them marooned and
	 ridiculous.  "

Twenty years of arguing about the whether left no room for serious public
discussion of potential solutions.

An actual global fix will require real _sacrifice_, which is a principal
reason why the current administration wanted/s to kick the can down the
road.

Remember the intellectually dishonest and environmentally illiterate
Reagan/Watt/Gorsuch on acid rain ?

Which was preceded by the political lesson of Carter's 'Sacrifice' debacle
in (eg) his 1980 State of the Union:

	" Meeting this challenge will take national will, diplomatic
	and political wisdom, economic sacrifice ..."

'Course Carter was referring _honestly_ to what it might take to solve
problems in the Middle East. (Plus ça change ...)

... Marc (Who happens to think that better and smarter homes are an
important part of the solution mix.)

Marc_F_Hult
www.NeuralHome.net