Re: Temperature monitoring

"Dave Close"  wrote ...
> I'm seeking to buy or build several temperature monitoring devices. I
> don't want intelligence, just reporting. All I want to do is to collect
> the information and record it.
>
> I can buy an "atomic clock" with a remote temperature sensor for about
> $20. Most of that cost is for the clock, not the sensor. But when I look
> for a similar device that can send data to a computer, prices quickly go
> (way!) above $100. Either this is a missed market opportunity or I'm
> just not looking in the right place.

. . .
> What have I missed?

There is a common misconception people have that anything that they want and
cannot find readily is a "missed opportunity".  What they are missing most
of the time is that there isn't a large enough market for the item at the
price that they want, to make it an opportunity.

There is a lot of demand for indoor outdoor thermometers, with or without
clocks which add very little to the cost) but not for the additional expense
of adding output circuits which almost no one would use.

However, if you are willing to do some work on your own, there may be some
hobbiest level items that do what you want.

Check out Peter Anderson's projects at www.phanderson.com/
www.phanderson.com/tm125.html is a multiple sensor to RS-232 module for $40
He designs his modules for students to use in his electrical engineering
courses.

If you want something polished with fancy software, there are a lot of
industrial systems with industrial quality, service, AND prices.

--
Bill Fuhrmann