Temperature monitoring

I'm seeking to buy or build several temperature monitoring devices. I
don't want intelligence, just reporting. All I want to do is to collect
the information and record it.

I can buy an "atomic clock" with a remote temperature sensor for about
$20. Most of that cost is for the clock, not the sensor. But when I look
for a similar device that can send data to a computer, prices quickly go
(way!) above $100. Either this is a missed market opportunity or I'm
just not looking in the right place.

I'd like the remote sensor to transmit its data either wirelessly, via
X10-like power line signaling, or over a simple three-wire phone cord.
Its reports should be periodic, say every five minutes, or on command.
The report should be the ambient temperature to a half-degree C and the
id of the sensor.

I have found some devices that can be programmed to take some action
when the ambient temperature falls outside some boundary. I don't want
any action taken except to report the temperature, not just when its low
or high but all the time.

What have I missed?
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Greed is to the moralists of the
dave@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    left what sex is to the moralists

--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Politics is the business of getting
dave@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    power and privilege without