Re: Temperature monitoring

On 10 mrt, 07:20, Dave Close <d...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm seeking to buy or build several temperature monitoring devices. I
> don't want intelligence, just reporting. All I want to do is to collect
> the information and record it.
>
> I can buy an "atomic clock" with a remote temperature sensor for about
> $20. Most of that cost is for the clock, not the sensor. But when I look
> for a similar device that can send data to a computer, prices quickly go
> (way!) above $100. Either this is a missed market opportunity or I'm
> just not looking in the right place.
>
> I'd like the remote sensor to transmit its data either wirelessly, via
> X10-like power line signaling, or over a simple three-wire phone cord.
> Its reports should be periodic, say every five minutes, or on command.
> The report should be the ambient temperature to a half-degree C and the
> id of the sensor.
>
> I have found some devices that can be programmed to take some action
> when the ambient temperature falls outside some boundary. I don't want
> any action taken except to report the temperature, not just when its low
> or high but all the time.
>
> What have I missed?
> --
> Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Greed is to the moralists of the
> d...@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    left what sex is to the moralists
> dhcl...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           of the right." - Cathy Young
>
> --
> Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Politics is the business of getting
> d...@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    power and privilege without
> dhcl...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           possessing merit." - P. J. O'Rourke

The RFXSensor together with an RFXCOM USB receiver does exact what you
want.
The 433.92MHz version of the RFXCOM receiver is also able to receive
Oregon Scientific weather sensors and the RFXPower. The RFXPower is a
device to measure the whole house power usage.
See www.rfxcom.com

US people can also use the W800 receiver but have to select the 310MHz
version of the RFXSensor then.
The W800 can't receive Oregon Scientific sensors nor the RFXPower.

Bert