Re: garage remote jamming

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote in message
news:e6ydnW0rAe69AnrYnZ2dnUVZ_sapnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > I think your perspective on PLC has not adjusted...
>
> You assume too much.  PLC in a residential setting will continue to be a
> market failure.  Not because of anything inferior in the PLC gear, but
> because of all the screwy things that can be found in nearly all
residential
> settings likely to be a candidate for automation.  At least with the
> airwaves there's regulations on frequency allocation and use.

Arf Arf!  The FCC is too busy regulating Janet Jackson's boobs to care about
who runs illegal transmitters.  My PLC system is fine now that I have it
"turbocharged" with the XTB.  I think it's the sign of the good basic design
of X-10 that a problem like signal suckers and interference can be solved
without wholesale equipment replacement.

> > I'm not sure where you live, but I think it's close enough to a rat's
nest
> > of military transmitters on Nebraska Ave. that you may not be totally
> immune
> > if there's a city wide attempt to lock down all remote IED's by jamming.
>
> No interference whatsoever with our gear out here off Bradley Blvd.  But
> then neither does a friend's place just east of Tenleytown.  So much for
> that FUD.

Neither places are near any military transmitters that I know of, although
Tenleytown is close to the WTOP towers across from Sears.  Two sample points
does NOT make a compelling argument that ALL RadioRA installations are
immune.  Perhaps if you lived near Quantico, VA where this last batch of
remote door openers were affected, you'd have a different tale to tell.

You didn't respond to this query before, so I'll ask again.  How many
LutronRA users do you estimate there are there per 1K US residents compared
to the number of people per thousand who own car door or garage door remote
openers?   The problem is appearing with door openers simply because there
are so many of them in operation, IMHO, compared to RadioRA sites.

--
Bobby G.