Re: Dissecting CFLs

news:4662ec8b.23541937@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >I was thinking of making a jig from a 2 by 4 scraps with two v's cut so
that
> >I could rotate the base of the bulb around against a 1/2" Dremel cutoff
> >wheel at a fixed distance, sort of like a can opener.
>
> Are you insane? Cutting them open will void the warranty. ;-)
>
> AP has another coal story this morning.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GLOBAL_WARMING_STATES?SITE=AP&SECTION
=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-06-02-12-45-20

That article confirms something I've said before.  In a state like Idaho,
where electricity comes from hydro, the CFL equation falls flat on its face.
They add mercury to the environment without providing any "offset" at the
stack because there IS no stack.

More than that, the article makes it clear that the biggest gains are going
to come from regulations limiting what coal plants can expel into the air.
It's going to make power more expensive, at least in the short run, but the
paybacks will be real and enormous.  That much is clear from the record of
states that have taken the right steps.  Dribs and drabs won't clean the air
and neither will the commercial sector because there's no profit in it.
That's when governments are supposed to step up and do the right thing.

There was an interesting sidebar, too:

NASA Chief Not Worried About Climate
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NASA_CLIMATE_CHANGE?SITE=AP&SECTION=H
OME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-05-31-20-30-15

It makes the point that we're rather arrogant in assuming now that man rules
the planet, all climate change must cease.  All it would take is another
Krakatoa-sized eruption in the world to turn on some serious global air
conditioning.  The soot from such eruptions typically blocks significant
amounts of sunlight for years and years.

--
Bobby G.